The Church of Santa Maria dei Battuti

The Church of Santa Maria dei Battuti

Arriving in Pinzano from Spilimbergo and the plain, the first village you come to is Valeriano and the first building is the small Church of Santa Maria dei Battuti, in Via Roma, which can always be visited. Linked to the confraternity of the Battuti, the single-nave, barrel-vaulted building dates back to the 14th century and has been remodelled several times over the centuries. The confraternity was characterised by its charitable spirit towards the sick and pilgrims.

The façade, which dates back to the end of the 15th century, shows a sinopite reproduction of the original frescoes inside the church. To the right of the entrance portal is a grandiose Saint Christopher, protector of travellers. On the left, Saints Valerian, John the Baptist and Stephen and the adoring Magi are the work of Pordenone. Above the lunette of the architrave, an enthroned Madonna is surmounted by the Savorgnan coat of arms. The portal, dated 1499, is by Pilacorte.

Inside, on the left, you can admire a Nativity by Pordenone, painted in 1527, one of the best known and most delicate works by the Friulian artist. There is also an Escape to Egypt, probably painted by a collaborator of De’ Sacchis, and several 14th-century frescoes.

The original wooden altar is kept in Pordenone at the Museum in Palazzo Ricchieri. The altarpiece is by Gasparo Narvesa.
For more information on the Pordenone frescoes: https://itinerariculturalifvg.it/valeriano/

Scopri le altre meraviglie

Roiello Pellegrin
Montereale Valcellina

Pellegrin’s roiello

Running water was brought to San Leonardo Valcellina in 1837 thanks to the intuition of a local farmer, Giovanni Antonio Dell’Angelo, known as Pellegrin. Before that there was the “lagoon”, a stagnant and unhealthy pool, fed by the rains, in the centre of the square.

Maggiori informazioni
War Memorial
Montereale Valcellina

War Memorial

In Malnisio, the War Memorial with the solemn statue representing Italy was inaugurated on 4 November 1925 in the square in front of the church, but it was not completed until 1933. To make room for this work, the village fountain was moved.

Maggiori informazioni
Archaeological Museum in Palazzo Toffol
Montereale Valcellina

Archaeological Museum in Palazzo Toffol

The area in which Montereale Valcellina stands has been inhabited for at least three thousand years: the oldest evidence of human settlements dates back to the 14th century B.C., the so-called Bronze Age. Some swords that have re-emerged from the gravel of the Cellina date back to this period, perhaps of a votive nature, linked to the cult of the torrent or of a deity linked to water.

Maggiori informazioni