For decades, closed to the public as a military space and then covered by vegetation, the Sacrarium on Col Pion was a mysterious object for the inhabitants of Pinzano al Tagliamento. It was only in the 2000s that people began to look for information on this scenic architecture, with a spectacular view of the river and the mountains. Thanks to local volunteers, the building was cleared of vegetation and became part of the landscape.
The remains of those who fell in the Battle of the Tagliamento in 1917 were to be laid to rest here. Architect Robert Tischler’s project was part of the larger plan of the German association for the burial of soldiers who died in the war, the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. Work began in 1939 and was never completed due to the outbreak of World War II.
Today the site is the focus of a new participatory project involving the population. As at the remains of the Savorgnan Castle, the cleaning of the shrine is entrusted to the goats of the local Capramica farm.
Beyond the road, descending a steep path, one reaches a point set up for observing the landscape and, continuing towards the riverbed of the Tagliamento, one finds the remains of the Casa della Barca.